21st Annual F. Scott Fitzgerald Literary Festival
Saturday, October 21, 2017
Richard Montgomery High School, Rockville, MD
8:00 a.m.-9:00 a.m.
Richard Montgomery High School, Rockville MD
8:30 a.m.-10:55 a.m.
Screening of “Brokeback Mountain” (2005)
Screenplay by Larry McMurtry and Diana Ossana, based upon the 1997 short story, “Brokeback Mountain,” by Annie Proulx. Following the film, there will be a Q & A with Annie Proulx
9:00 a.m.-10:45 a.m.
• “Revision, Revision, Revision” (Fiction)
• “Exploring the Divide” (Fiction/Non-Fiction)
• “Crafting the Lede” (Non-Fiction)
11:00 a.m.-12:15 p.m.
Welcome and Opening Remarks
Roberta S. Mandrekas, President, F. Scott Fitzgerald Literary Conference, Inc.
Annie Proulx in conversation with Michael Dirda
12:15 p.m.-1:30 p.m.
Politics & Prose Bookstore will be selling books in the lobby
(2:00 – 6:30 p.m.)
1:30 p.m.-2:45 p.m.
Keynote Speaker: “How the Assault on the Climate Became an Assault on the Truth”
3:00 p.m.-4:45 p.m.
Featured Speaker: “‘My whole heart was in my first trash’: Fitzgerald, Fiction, Failure, and Fame.”
Anne Margaret Daniel
• “Coming-of-Age: Young Adult Novels” (Young Adult Fiction)
• “Finding the Lazarus in You: How to Rise and Write a Memoir” (Non-Fiction)
E. Ethelbert Miller
• “Clocks, Watches, and Sundials: How to Contain and Move Time in Your Fiction” (Fiction)
• Recognition of Fitzgerald Scholars
Introduction by Scott Bayer, Montgomery County Public Schools
• Presentation of 15th Annual F. Scott Fitzgerald Student Short Story Contest Winner
• Presentation of 21st Annual F. Scott Fitzgerald Short Story Contest Winner
Introduction by Nathanael Brown
• Presentation of 21st Annual F. Scott Fitzgerald Literary Award for Outstanding Achievement in American Literature
Introduction by Francisco Goldman
2017 Award Recipient: Annie Proulx,
followed by acceptance, reading, and book signing